Re: NTLK About early newtons and eworld service

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 09:26:15 EST

>Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:50:47 +0300
>From: "Evgueni A. Natalenko" <adam@spb.cityline.ru>
>
>hi, dear newtonians!
>excuse me for my bad english cause i'm native ukrainian,

hi Evgueni,

no problems understanding you...

>but here's my question:
>who knows about did early newtons (i mean omp, 100,110,120 etc) ever
>working with abandoned apple's online service called eworld (i mean did
>they have something like eworld's mail client app installed, maybe
>something early version of nie+eworld.pkg)?
>and how did it was working (i mean how much was this service cost? what
>this service did for newton's users?)
>hope to hear from you soon,

eWorld was built-in and worked on all MP models;
I was sorry to see it go.

eWorld was basically a clone of AOL, with a very nice GUI
(place rather than channel oriented) on the desktop, and the ability
to get/send email (and attached packages!).

eWorld was basically dialup serial access (via a proprietary protocol;
like how Aloha from Catamount connects to AOL),
so it didn't support anything like TCP/IP AFAIK.

as I recall, it cost $9.95/month.

Steve

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com