NTLK eMate Problems

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 00:08:18 EST

Hi Guys,

I just purchased an eMate with a problem. The machine does not respond to
the power key, but does respond to the reset key. I get a chime, the
sign-on screen, a password-keyboard screen showing the previous owner's
name, and then the unit resets itself and does everything over again. It
does not respond to keyboard input or quick taps to the screen during the
"on" cycle. It repeates the cycle by itself 5-8 times and then powers off
by itself. I cannot interrupt this cycle by pressing the power key.

When I do a "hard" reset (pressing the reset and power keys together), the
screen appears stable, accepts input ("Are you sure..."), acts like it is
erasing the data and then resets itself, throwing it into the cyclical reset
mode again. Interestingly, the previous owner's name is still there as is
the password-keyboard screen so it is not doing a complete erasure of the
memory for some reason. Also, if I hold down the power key while the rest
cycle is happening (without pushing the reset button), the eMate interprets
this as a "hard" reset request.

The only thing I haven't done is to remove the battery and do a "deep"
reset, mainly because I don't have the appropriate Torx screwdriver. I
started the charging cycle with the 9-watt AC adapter, and the yellow light
was still on 2 hours later.

Any ideas, clues, suggestions?? I'm tapped...

Regards,

Gary

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com