Re: NTLK Driver for Lucent Wave Lan card

From: victor@gear.torque.net
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 18:24:15 EST

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Thomas McCain wrote:

> Hello,
> On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Victor wrote
>
> >There is currently no newton driver available for any wireless ethernet
> >card.
>
> There was a hack of a an ethernet driver that enabled the Proxim wireless
> ethernet cards to work floating around last year. I may have a copy
> somewhere, but someone else may have some actual use experience. I could
> never afford the Proxim equipment.

Wow! Never heard of that before... if you could dig it up and send it too
me I'd love to add it to my collection (it would also give me a reason to
update some other things my site)

> A Newton Wave Lan driver would be great though! I read a letter online
> from a guy who claimed to have cracked open an Apple Airport Base and said
> it mainly contained a PC card adaptor and a Wave Lan card. He even added
> an external antenna and increased its range. If it could be done for the
> Proxim card, hopefuly it can be done for the Wave Lan!

There is really only the PCMCIA version of the WaveLan adapters. I don't
know why, but every non-PCMCIA version that I've seen (and I helped to
implement a WaveLan network this past summer) is merely a PCI or ISA card
with a slot for the WaveLan PCMCIA card and a PCMCIA->PCI (or ISA) bridge.
Nothing more. The FCC might have something to say about that external
antenna though :)

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
--------President, Computer Science Club of the University of Guelph--------
-------Homepage & Newton stuff: http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/-------
--"He's a sharp little fellow. Talented. Only a little nuts." -M. Dyomin--

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com