NTLK Screen Implant Part II

From: Khaled M. Z. Tewfik (khaledt@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 05 1999 - 10:49:04 EST

Hi, to all

I placed a post here couple of weeks ago asking for advise on the practicality of swapping the screens of my current MP2Ku for that of a fresh brand new MP2K that I found a at the Apple dealer here at Jeddah. Saudi Arabia.

I thought I should post here an update to that post:

First:
Thanks to all who took the time and mailed me back with information or advise, on and off the list. The information I gathered helped me a lot to make my decision.

Special thanks to Laurent, Jon Shurtleff, and Abe Lee. I appreciated the personal touch.

Second:
As you may recall, what triggered that issue was me finding out about 2 new MP2ks at my local dealer in Saudi Arabia (Yeh, the MPs that time forgot).

I initially haggeled the price for one of them to the equivalent of $500. But before committing the cash I thought I would ask the list about the possibility of swapping the screens between the old and new units.

Third:
In light of the good advise and assistance I got from the list members, I described to go ahead with my plans, and I bought the new MP2k

Forth:
Two weeks after my first visit to the dealer I went back to purchase the unit, one was sold and only one left. I got that last MP, probably the last new MP2k in the world.

Fifth:
My plan now is to swap the mother boards or the old and new units, So I would end up with with my original upgraded mother board in a brand new cassing and a fresh screen, and have the new mother board in my older cassing (which is in a very good shape with all pins and holders intact) and with the old screen (whose back lighting and functionality are excellent but the surface has rough worn out spots)

Sixth:
When all is done I will be putting my old MP2k for sale to offset my costs, I will offer the box, manuals, etc, for $300 (original package as I bought it, quick figure bundle included, no hard ware extras). The buyer will have to pay for shipping from Saudi Arabia, hence the cheap $300 request.

Note:
With Wright Writes there is no difference between my old or new screens, but I just like the feeling of owning a perfect MP.

Seventh:
In case any of you fellow Newtonian on the list have images of how dose the Newton guts look like or a step by step description of the process, please e mail them to me, they will be of help as I swap the mother boards.

Mr. Abe Lee gracefully offered to send me a video tape of of the process, but it would be weeks before I could see it and a hassle to compensate him for the the mail charges.

Mr. Jon Shurtleff offered to mail me JPEGSs of the process, but he is not responding to my latest e mails, hope things are OK with him.

Thanks again to all, I am proud to continue being a membre of this wonderful community.

Regards,
Dr. Khaled M. Tewfik
Saudi Arabia

\\ /,