NTLK Re: alt.rec and heap?

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 1999 - 06:50:02 EST

Paul F. Butler wrote:

>How much heap does alt.rec consume?

No idea exactly. All expansions are gathered in an array for faster
process. I may save this array in a soup entry if you complain about heap
waste (I have nearly 200 expansions, and I feel no problem about it yet; I
have a MP2100). The remaining heap usage is limited to the patches & the
global vars it uses (mostly to re-install the stuff back when it is removed
and one global var used as a sempahore signal).

>Are the expansions and custom dictionary
>words saved when updating to the next version?

There are two kind of expansions:
(a) system expansions: these are saved in the system soup in the expand
dictionary. This dictionary includes (in the dict data, hence compressed)
all macros (for example, philo) and in a separated array (hence not
compressed) all expanded material (e.g. philosophy).
(b) alt.rec.... macros. They are installed in a soup,
|Expansions@alt.rec....:Paul's Software|, and gathered in four variables in
the alt.rec.... application frame for faster computation. These variables
are arrays, re-computed everytime you quit the expansions editor. Hence, if
you keep it opened, newly added/changed expansions won't be used.

Custom dictionary is just system user dictionary, saved in the system soup.
You can use DictMgr to manage it. (although the current version is *not*
perfectly stable).

Regards,

Paul

>On the seventh day, God turned off God's Mac.
And He turned on His Newton.

----
P&M Consulting Newton Program
http://www.pnm-consulting.com/newton/