Re: NTLK Development Help

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 06:21:13 EST

>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:52:38 -0500
>From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com>
>
>Leland Jory wrote:
>
>> I have been a Newton user (off and on) for a few years, and would like to
>> get involved in some development. I have little or no background in
>> programming, but am looking for advice from current developers on a good way
>> to get started.
>>
>> Anyone who can think of good resources for a newbie programmer to get his
>> feet wet are wecome to pass some info along. I have NTK, and am not afraid
>> of NewtonScript, but have not been able to find a really good reference
>> written from a beginner's point of view.
>>
>> I have already downloaded the "Programming Newton Using Macintosh" web
>> archive, but it's seemingly for intermediate-level programmers.
>>
>> HELP!
>
>Leland,
>
>"Programming for the Newton" is the lowest entry material I've seen so far to
>program on the Newton. If you start with the first chapters, they explain
>types,
>variables, control blocks and the specifics of NewtonScript. I can't think of
>anything more basic, sorry. You may look on Steve Weyer's website for his
>"NewtEnvDev" package, which lets you develop programs for your Newton directly
>on your Newton, but I doubt it will be any easier than "Programming for the
>Newton". There are simply some basic understandings you need to have in
>order to
>program, and that is not always covered in manuals, as they assume that people
>reading those books will have a programming training.
>
>Additionally, you could maybe grab an introductory book to programming, but I
>can't recommend any.

I assume you've already checked the FAQ (under Development)?
http://members.aol.com/thisolnewt/FAQ/
or
http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

NewtDevEnv relies for the most part on NTK and other documentation.
there is the NewtATut tutorial, but it won't get you too far.

I'd agree with Laurent that I don't think there's anything more basic than
"Programming for the Newton" -- except that you might consider using
NSBasic instead of NewtonScript.

if you do want to continue with NewtonScript, then my suggestion is an
example-based approach. pick a simple example, read thru it to understand
(by using McKeehan&rhodes books and NTK reference docs), then try making a
simple change. [repeat] you can post questions to
comp.sys.newton.programmer.
(if you register for NewtDevEnv, I still provide support, which be quite
useful for NewtonScript questions even if you don't actually use NDE)

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com