NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #185

From: Michael J. Dark (darkmich@cvmstudent.cvm.msu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 00:18:27 EST

> Don't waste your time trying to use a Mac modem cable. These beasts fit
> physically, but the wiring is wrong.
>
> Excerpt from my "frequently answered questions" folder to save typing
> time:
>
> The problem is that there
> are 2 types of cables that look alike, but aren't. One is the Mac modem
> cable which has a 8 pin MiniDin Mac connector on one side and a 9 or 15
> pin SubD PC connector on the other side. The other is "the" Newton PC
> cable as provided by Apple. Using the first cable won't work as the wiring
> is different. Neither gender changers nor 9/15 pin SubD adapters will
> solve this problem. The only way out is to either buy the original cable
> somewhere or make a cable of your own. The latter can easily be done by
> buying a Mac printer cable, cut it in the middle and solder a 9 and a 15
> pin SubD connector on. That way, you won't have to solder the (nearly
> unsolderable) MiniDin connector, and you get two cables for
> (approximately) the price of one.

Um, maybe this is just me, but my MP110 connects pretty well to my
desktop using a Mac modem cable. You have to have a null modem
adapter inline, though, to allow it to work.

My setup is Newt -> Modem cable -> Null modem -> Gender changer -> 25-
9 pin cable -> PC. It's big and bulky, but it works OK. =)

--
Rule of life #1:                                          McQ
Don't sweat the petty things,         Michael J. Dark

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com