Re: NTLK Barcode readers

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 02:47:34 EST

Gary Moody schrieb:
> Steve Kramer has some bar code wands for sale, as advertised in NewtonTalk
> on November 23rd. ...
> (2) barcode reader for newton 120-2100 comes with driver software. $50 each
> these originally sold for over $200
Hmm, driver software, what does it include in particular? A driver for a
barcode reader is essential but useless on its own. How is the
information from the barcode accessible? I've had Notion installed and
tried a barcode pen in 1997 in the Newton Shop in Zurich. I had a few
minutes to set-up a simple database, define a field for barcode (it was
selectable in the "new field" menu and it worked w/o installation of a
driver. I'm now curious what the driver, offered by Steve does and what
else is needed. In order to get any use out one needs a sort of database
which associates barcode numbers with item names and other information
(price, stock qty, etc.).

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand