Re: NTLK NewtonOS vs. WindowsCE

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 22:38:52 EST

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Jared Williams wrote:

> You know, I must admit that one thing WinCE did right is the ActiveSync 3
> and the directory structure of WinCE. It's almost seamless from
> Windows...why couldn't Newton be more like that, rather than hundreds of
> soups being thrown in a huge data repository, which is how it feels to a
> novice, let alone how it may really be set up.

The Newton doesn't use directories or files; its soup data system is far
better suited to handheld computing. Storing data doesn't explicitly
require naming or locating beofre you can save your stuff. Much better
than a file system that way. The "persistant object store' is great for
this type of stuff.

As for lack of good sync tools, apple never finished them. In fact, I
believe that a third party wrote most of them, but I may be wrong. They
are simply not done properly, pure and simple IMHO. LUckly the Newton is
powerful enough that you can do most of what you need to do on the unit
itself without really needing to export; with 'net and printer access
on it, you can interact with otehr systems directly, no desktop needed.

gopi.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com