NTLK T2K. Uh oh.

From: Loren Finkelstein (Loren@Finkelstein.Net)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 09:41:27 EST

I got this from NYCDAUG (New York City Digital Assistant User Group). Can
Apple legally do this? I know they can stop supporting older versions of
their software and force you to upgrade, but can they refuse to maintain the
most recent version of a product?

Loren

----------
>Got this info after I eMailed Apple (as they suggested if you needed more
>info on their software.) I had read something in MacInTouch about Newt
>software specifically NOT being mentioned in the tech info testing pages
>for Y2k...
>
>"Apple recommends that you assume any product that has not been tested is
>"not-compliant" and take appropriate actions to assess and remediate your
>computing environment..."
>---------------------------------
>Subject: Re: Y2k and Newton Connection Utilities
>Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 14:44:53 -0800
>From: Sue Gold <salesy2k@apple.com>
>

> >Dear Apple Computer:
>
> >Can you tell me if the Newton Connection Utilities (and the Newton 2100)
> >will work properly after the year 2000 rollover?
> >I didn't see any information on that on the Y2k web page.
> >ken
>
>Mr. Spencer,
>
>Apple will not test the Newton or the Newton Connection Utilities. The
>Year 2000 testing that Apple has performed has focused on the products
>that are most likely to be in active use by the majority of Apple's
>customers in the consumer, design and publishing, and education markets.
>This includes Apple's currently released hardware and software products
>and many older versions of our software products that have a significant
>installed base. The products are listed here on the Apple and the Year
>2000 web site. Apple is not planning to test any additional products
>beyond those identified on the web site at
><http://www.apple.com/about/year2000/>. While many products that are not
>tested will work beyond the Year 2000 using 4-digit years, Apple
>recommends that you assume any product that has not been tested is
>"not-compliant" and take appropriate actions to assess and remediate your
>computing environment.
>
>Let me know if I can be of additional help.
>
>Regards,
>
>Sue Gold
>Apple Computer

about us at some time. Find out why at: