NTLK New uses for old Newtons - "Full" Internet Access for NOS 1.3 and 2.x

From: Newton Dude (NewtonDude@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 02:40:19 EST

Just a brief note on a project idea that some of you might find
interesting/useful.

I own an OMP, and am severely limited by NOS 1.3 lack of tcp/ip stack,
ppp/slip dialin capabilites, etc. Not a great web-browsing machine.

My solution: Build a linux PC, attach a modem, attach to dsl/cable
modem/another modem/etc. Configure it to be a nifty neato gateway/router
for the other PC's on my network, and accept dial-in calls from phone
line. You see where this is going. Now, connect via modem and terminal
program on newton, and voila, you have access to any tty/vt100 compliant
unix tools, i.e. lynx text web browser, pine for e-mail, ftp, telnet, irc,
etc. etc. etc. you have, in essence, become your own isp w/ shell accounts.

drop a line if you have any suggestions/enhancements, or if you just try it out.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com