NTLK Re: New uses for old Newtons - "Full" Internet Access for NOS 1.3 and 2.x

From: mmidgley@my-Deja.com
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 17:18:56 EST

Newton Dude wrote:
> solution: Build a linux PC, attach a modem, attach to dsl/cable

And the reason for doing this is just to prove that an older Newton model which wasn't really designed to do internet connectivity can kinda do it really?

When I use my Newton for any sort of internet connectivity, the idea is that it is portable and can be used live anywhere*. Its hard to bring along the linux PC, [cable] modem/dsl, etc...

*anywhere is this instance means any place that has a phone line or ethernet connection available (friend's house, work, etc), not litterally anywhere (only the truly rich can afford those kind of solutions).

The idea here is that if you have a PC, a fast internet connection, and a desire to use it, it doesn't make sense to attempt to use it through a 1.3 newton running a terminal emulator instead of just using the PC. I would admit that it *would* be very useful for those that want to d/l email or web pages for viewing while on the go (no longer connected), but that's just not reasonably possible with a terminal emulator program, IMO.

good luck... keep the green, etc... :)

mark

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com