NTLK Re: Ethernet set up

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 09:25:59 EST

>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:17:55 EST
>From: RobertRuff@aol.com
>To: newtontalk@planetnewton.com
>Subject: ? Re: Ethernet set up

>Hi All,
> I reciently got a Farallon Ethernet PC Card (EtherWave and EtherMac) and
>a Farallon ethernet adaptor for my Mac8100/100. ......
>but everytime I try to choose ethernet in the AppleTalk control pannel I get
>the following error message.
>
> An error ocurred using ethernet built in Make sure your connections are
>correct.
>
> This is the first time I've attempted anything with the ethernet port so
>I'm a novice at this.
>
>Thanks RobertRuff
Robert-

I'm puzzled, why did you buy a separate ethernet board for the PPC 8100
when it has ethernet built-in? It uses an AAUI adapter which just needs
an AAUI to 10BaseT converter. Anyway, what appears to be going on is
that you are connecting with AppleTalk to the INTERNAL connector in your
8100 and not the Farallon board you installed. If the appropriate
drivers for the Farallon board were properly installed in the extensions
folder, there should appear in the AppleTalk control panel a separate
Farallon ethernet selection that is distinct from the ethernet selection
built-in. Choose this and you should be able to communicate.

Mark Ross
markr13@voicenet.com

Need a Screen Protector to keep your Newton in tip top shape?
Go to <http://www.voicenet.com/~markr13> for NuShield screen protectors.
Don't leave your Newt Naked!

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com