Re: NTLK 56k modem string? Fast access? Best browser? Java Sc

From: Kenny Song (kensong@pc.jaring.my)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 02:31:10 EST

------
Hello. I was hoping somebody might know some of these answers.

1. I have a 28k modem that access the Net on my Newton just fine, but a little slow. At home I regulary get 48-52k connections depending on which computer/modem I am using. I have used the 56k modem on my Newton and it it connects and seems faster. Is there a place I can look that might have a better driver for my modem? I have 2 56k modems. One is a Motorola Mobile Surfer. The other is a really generic 56k modem that gets REALLY good connections (occasionaly a 53k).

Modem Modifier by DMP systems allows you to Increase your modem connect speeds to 56K. Only the latest version (2.02) does that. The driver I use for my Megahertz 56K is a driver writen for it. Get it at NetStrategy, home of Enroute.

2. BTW, can the newton even access at 56k? First, is there any way to tell how fast of a connection I have? I have tied the Modem SPeed Test page, but it requries a Java Script compatible browser.

No, I don't have any way of testing the connection speed except for my own download experience. The 56K do download web pages at about 30% faster than my 33.6 Megahertz modem.

3. I am currently using NetHopper. I know it is no longer supported. Is Newts Cape better than the last version of NetHopper? Are their any other options?

I was one of those that was reluctant to switch from Net Hopper/ WebXpress even after giving Lunasuite and Newtscape a test run. But it was inevitable as NetHopper's features were seriously limited. I chose Newts cape and is now totally satisfied and at home with it. And Steve Weyer is so responsive to suggestions and provided support that is exemplary. BTW, he's also an active Newtontalker.

4. Are their any solutions for dealing with sites with Java Script?

5. Are the expired certificates a problem?
No, never had any problems, though they are clearly tagged.

Thanks for your time on these questions! Drew
------

Hope this helps.

Kenny Song
<Sent with Newton Messagepad/SimpleMail v 3.3.1d1>

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com