Re: NTLK NCU will not work, but NBU will?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 03:31:00 EST

On 1/1/00 11:09 PM, Drew Loker [mailto:lokerd@hotmail.com] wrote:

>I appreciate this group and all the feed back so far.
>
>I finally was able to get NBU to work, but NCU will not work. I have tried
>installing all three versions: the one that is expired, then 1.0, and
>currently 2.0. I have tried it on 2 diferent computers. I have tried
>"Slowdown", but it didn't work.
>
>What am I doing wrong???

Well first of all, I'd say that you're problem is that you are not pretty
obviously NOT using NCU, but instead are using NCK....as there is _NO_
NCU version 2.0. There was an NCK 2.0 though.

The rules for which program (NCK, NBU, or NCU) to use are:

You should be using Newton Connection UTILITIES 1.0 (NCU) not Newton
Connection KIT (NCK) 1.0 or 2.0 if your Newton has OS 2.0 or 2.1 (some
120's, 130, 2000, 2100, eMate)

You should be using Newton Connection KIT 1.0 or 2.0 if your Newton as OS
1.x (OMP, 100, 110, some 120s) and I think you want 1.0 if you're using
OS version before 1.3 and 2.0 if using using OS 1.3, but it's been a
while and I could be quite wrong here.

NBU may work with both 1.x and 2.x OS, but I don't recommend it; it was
simply a temporary app until NCU was ready, if I recall correctly.

Beyond that, you need to describe to us (and it'd be helpful in ANY
request for help for people to do this!):

a) What Newton model and OS you are using (e.g. I'm using a MessagePad
2100 running OS 2.1)
b) What error message you are getting - be EXACT
c) The steps you're taking and the point at which it fails
d) What other software is involved in your problem and it's version (NCU
or NCK or NBU, in this case).
e) if it involves a desktop computer (as it does in this case) what make
and model and OS version (e.g. I'm using a Apple Macintosh PowerBook G3
Series 250 running MacOS 8.6)

 - Bill

 \\ /, Keep On Newtin'! Visit the Info-Newt news Web Site and FTP
`( Info-Newt software archive for Newton PDAs: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ and ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = FAQ for the Newton Community: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/
              SUPPORT NEWTON! -- INK DIFFERENT