Re: NTLK Thanks

From: Chris Ruprecht (chrup@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 01:05:53 EST

Hi all ...
>I heard the the new Apple PDA will sport a MacOS Lite, and will run mini
>apps much like Windoze CE. Sounds a little to plain jane for Apple.
>
>Then I head of a Palm Like Device that was in all weather gear and a rubber
>jacket. Like a Swiss Army PDA. I doubt that one too.

On a more humorous note ... I have heard that Apple will most likely
introduce something at the current MacExpo - well, that didn't happen
- just as Y2K bugs. Then I heard a rumor that they will produce a
slate PDA, sort of the size of a PowerBook screen with everything
built in.
But considering that the initial rumor, why Jobs trashed the Newton,
mentioned Billy Windogs and that he invested his $150 Million into
Apple and promised to support the Mac platform if Stevie would give
up on Newton and let him get ahead with his Wince stuff, I doubt that
Apple will do anything in the near future in this market. I think the
iBook is as low as they will go, as I can not imagine something of
the size of the Newton having it's desktop cluttered with all these
Mac icons and menu bars and stuff like that.

A MacOS Lite would not fit into their current line of products
either. They seem to try and convince everybody that MacOS X is the
best thing since sliced bread and it might very well be - it is a
MacOS look and feel set on top of good ol' UNIX - and I can't think
of running diskless PDAs under UNIX, even if they can get scaled down
to run on minimum hardware (as the older version of Linux did, 386,
80 MB Hard drive, 4 MB RAM and it was happy). But that's sort of
minimum configuration. And you would need a harddrive of some sort
which makes the whole thing less robust and more power-hungry.

No, the Newton was the best PDA anybody ever made. There is nothing
on the market which even comes close. If they would pick up where
they left off, maybe they have something.

Ok, nuff said - now I'm expecting the flames, but I'm pretty fireproof :)

- Chris

Chris Ruprecht * chrup@earthlink.net

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com