RE: NTLK ethernet (im)possibilities

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2000 - 22:11:39 EST

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Steve Vander Ark wrote:

> > If you've got HP printers with JetDirect cards, all you'll need
> > to do is enable EtherTalk on the printers and you're set. If you're using
> > dedicated print servers (=those little boxes that connect parallel
> > printers to hthe network) it should be possible on most Intel/HP boxes as
> > well. If you're using only Novell print servers (with the printers
> > connected directly to the print server) then you're outta luck.>
>
> I'm not sure how to do this. I have HP LaserJet 4 Plus printers, each with
> JetDirect cards and each with print caches handled by Novell 4.11 from our
> main server which is an Intel box. In other words, they are working over our
> ethernet connections. I have a 2100 with a 3Com card in it. In a print slip,
> I am given the choice my Stylewriter, my HP Deskjet, of chosing another
> printer or choosing an AppleTalk printer. There is no way to choose a
> printer via my ethernet card, only via AppleTalk, and when I choose that I
> get an error because my communications port is busy (because I have a
> keyboard plugged into it). What am I missing here?

You've got to set up AppleTalk to use your ethernet card (remember,
AppleTalk + Ethernet = Ethertalk; AppleTalk + Mac Serial = LocalTalk.
AppleTalk refers to the protocol only, not the type of network you're
running). In the Prefs panel, bring up the Appletalk slip, and select
"Connect using EtherTalk" and then choose your Ethernet card. Now when
you go to connect to a printer using Appletalk, your Newton will use your
ethernet card to carry the signal.

As for the HP printers, there should be an option in the front panel menu
in the "HP MIO" section to enable AppleTalk (EtherTalk). Otherwise, if
your printers are also set up under TCP/IP, you can telnet to them
directly and change the settings (assuming they haven't been
password-protected by someone else, such as your system administrators).
This should be well-documented in either your 4+ manual, or the manual
that came with the JetDirect card.

Oh, and you may be able to enable AppleTalk through the JetDirect admin
software (although I haven't used that in a long, long time, so I don't
remember how it works).

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com