Re: NTLK Bring back the Newton? [PRETTY LONG]

From: Wally Rodriguez (wlists@fireworksmm.com)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:16:06 EST

Hello all:

Happy New Year.

I am writing these as words of hope, not to elicit flame mail or to discount
other's opinions. I have owned every Newton ever made, including a
transparent one. I also have and still use my 2100 often, although not every
day anymore.

The machine is a gem, it's sleek, useful and now it's discontinued. It's
becoming harder to get support, new software, even to buy old software.

A few months ago my dad, who uses one every day in his medical practice (he
actually makes notes in Spanish with it with great success) gave me a
PalmVx. I was appreciative, but asked where he got it just in case I might
want to return it.

I decided to give it a fair try by not using my Newton at all, only the
PalmV. I then began an exhaustive search for software that would fit the
bill for others I was using on the Newt. The packages are:

- JfilePro for database (no graphical layout as in NewtDB, but synchronizes
with FileMaker, a long-standing need)
- TealDoc and others for document readers
- ProxiWeb and Avantgo for web navigation
- MultiMail Pro for POP and IMAP email
- QuoVadis for mapping and GPS tracking
- ListMaker for hierarchical (sp?) lists
- Didlebug for quick notes and reminders
- TinySheet as a small spreadsheet
- TC Calculator to calculate Timecodes and frames (for video projects)
- Dateman for Dates, etc.
- Cryptinfo for encrypted ID's and Passwords

There are various other plug-ins and utilities such as a telnet client and
others.

This combination, which represents a relatively large investment in
software, (almost all of which was trialware first) has worked pretty well
for me. The screen size is a pain and graffiti has not been much fun, but
I'm used to it now. The little machine has become very useful, especially
due to the fact that I can carry it with me much more often than my Newton.

Then something happened that sweetened things considerably...

Just two weeks ago I received the new Omnisky Minstrel V modem which is in
beta test at this time. The modem works over CDPD and allows any IP
application, including all the PalmVII web clipping apps to work wirelessly
with the PalmV. Now this is cool! I was able to check flight schedules
during a particularly busy holiday trip, get my email, synch Avantgo check
on my regular web pages and even track a missing FedEx shipment of an
important present.

So the question is whether the Palm replaced my Newton. To be honest, it has
in most respects, but I still carry them both in my bag along with a digital
camera and GPS.

I use them all at one time or another for business or pleasure. There is no
cooler thing than being able to be on set, shoot some pictures for
reference, load them into the newt and e-mail them to my assistants for
immediate work on a project. NewtDB is still my DB of choice and I use it
everyday plus the Newton keyboard has allowed me to type complete project
treatments and proposals while on the run. I grab the Palm when I'm doing
errands, going to a meeting or other quick things. When I really want to be
mobile I take the RexPRO, which is also very cool too and dresses up well
(except no Mac tools).

But when the going might get rough or I need some extra firepower, the
Newton is the tool of choice. My laptop usually stays at work, period.

We don't have to shoot down one platform for another. They can all get
along.

--
Wally Rodriguez                          wrodriguez@fireworksmm.com
Dir. of Visual Effects,                      FireWorks Motion Media

****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by:

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com