NTLK NCU and windows and Newt serial

From: Todd Huish (tlh@ibm.net)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 20:23:20 EST

OK, who saw this one coming? I finaly got NCU (thanks to all who showed me
the links) and a cable (Part 75967 Mac to PC serial cable from CDW as
evinced by the Apple serial connection page on the net. BTW has anyone else
got this cable to work?) I have a recently Hard Reset MP2000 OS v2.1
(717041) with NCU for windows v1.0. All the pieces are here and they just
won't talk to each other. I tried all the baud speeds in the Newton Dock
window. Nada. I tried different COM ports on the PC. No. I attached a
serial cable tester to this conncoction and ended up with some odd data.
When I hoock up the lines TD, RTS and DTR are lit up red. When I start NCU
DTR goes green. When I attempt to connect from the newton DSR goes green
and RD starts to blink about once a second. Then the whole thing falls
apart. I get a "the connection was stopped becasue there was no response"
My knowlege of Serial connectivity is a little sketchy but these lights
just don't seem right to me. In the archives I saw some reference to
slowing down my PC to talk to the Newton but it seemed to be after the
connection that that problem cropped up. Is there some odd setting of Bits,
parityand stop bits I need to set on the PC?

Todd

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com