Re: NTLK Bring back the Newton?

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 02:46:09 EST

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Victor Rehorst wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 wimagine@bellsouth.net wrote:
> >From what I remember of the $100 million "investment" between Apple and
> MS, it wasn't an investment at all, but rather a settlement from a
> long-standing lawsuit between the two (I believe over the Windows GUI
> resembling the Mac). I can probably dig up an old news article if you
> like...

It was an investment; MS bought $100m in non-voting Apple stock. THey
also agreed to keep updating MS Office for the Mac. Apple agreed to set
up IE and Outlook Express as teh MacOS defaults. There was an additional
undisclosed sum of money paid for patent infringement settlement. This
was unrelated to the GUI lawsuit. These issues were realted to other
software patents of Apple's; they have many. So technically it was an
investment, but since it was not normal stock, and came with so many
strings attached, it was primarily a message from MS that Apple should be
taken seriously, and also possibly playing with the justice department
anti-trust people to make it look like there was still competition.

gopi.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com