NTLK Newton PC cable

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 05:03:56 EST

<snip>

I tried all the baud speeds in the Newton Dock window. Nada...

<snip>

The fastest way to get going would probably be to grab a multimeter
and find out which pins are connected to which. 99 out of 100 times
the reason is that this pinning isn't correct.

Sorry, those of you who have been on this list longer. I'm perfectly
aware that you've read the following so often you probably know it
by heart by now:

The problem is that there
are 2 types of cables that look alike, but aren't. One is the Mac modem
cable
which has an 8 pin MiniDin Mac connector on one side and a 9 or 15 pin SubD
PC
connector on the other side. The other is "the" Newton PC cable as provided
by
Apple. Using the first cable won't work as the wiring is different. Neither
gender changers nor 9/15 pin SubD adapters will solve this problem (*).
The only way out is to either buy the original cable somewhere or make a
cable of
your own. The latter can easily be done by buying a Mac printer cable, cut
it in
the middle and solder a 9 and a 15 pin SubD connector on. That way, you
won't have to solder the (nearly unsolderable) MiniDin connector, and you
get
two cables for (approximately) the price of one. The PC side connectors are
very cheap and
easy to solder. A long Mac printer cable should be easy to get.

For the correct wiring, see http://advanix.net/~neuhaus/applserl.html

Best regards

Frank

(*) Someone on this list reported he got a Mac Modem cable plus a gender
changer to
work, but I can't confirm this. I tried and failed.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com