Re: NTLK Any Problem on Touchscreen by Screen Protector?

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:57:39 EST

>Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:06:29 -0500
>From: "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com>
>Subject: Re: NTLK Any Problem on Touchscreen by Screen Protector?

>Soo Yeon Cho wrote:
>
>> Dear Newton users,
>>
>> I've heard recently that screen protector(like NuShield, Barrier) may
>> cause some problem on touch screen of PDAs. That is, screen protector is
>> located in some gap which is between TSP(touch screen panel) and
>> case. However, it is supposed that there is no gap between TSP and case
>> theoritically. So, screen protector may give some pressure on TSP, then
>> it may cause some error on TSP(or screen). It is said that screen
>> protector push some points a number of million times, then it causes
>> screen out of order.
>>
>> Any one knows about this? I am using NuShield and worried about this.
>
>I've been using the WriteRights for more than 2 years now. I did experience
>last year some "squiggle" effects, but had to have the screen replaced. Don't
>have any problem so far.
>
>-Laurent.

I now have extensive experience with this as NuShields are now available
for the Palm. The Palm screen is a different beast than the Newton. It
is much more sensitive to the issue raised above, especially the Palm V
which has very tight tolerances on the case-screen gap. It took over a
month of testing to design a NuShield for the Palm V but we have
successfully done this. It is necessary to keep the film away from under
the top edges of the Palm V or it will lock up or act erratically for the
reasons described above. As a result, we have this problem and its
resolution clearly stated in the instruction sheet. This never, in my
experience, happens on the Newton which as a much looser screen - case
gap. BTW- WriteRights would not have this issue as they don't go under
the screen but are held by an adhesive. Unfortunately, the soft plastic
doesn't last very long.

Mark Ross
markr13@voicenet.com

Need a Screen Protector to keep your Newton in tip top shape?
Go to <http://www.voicenet.com/~markr13> for NuShield screen protectors.
Don't leave your Newt Naked!

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com