Re: NTLK Where to find a compressed Works?

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2000 - 02:39:38 EST

On 1/13/2000 11:18 AM, Sunder [mailto:sunder@anon7b.sunder.net] wrote:

>You'll need to get a bit of software that will let you change the CREATOR
>/ File types. I believe they're supposed to be 'PKG ' and 'pkgX' (not
>sure about the case, but if you do have another Newton package send it to
>whatever software you use to change file types and you can copy it from
>there.) If I recall right ResEdit has this feature, but there's better
>software to do this from, including some drag and drop... I think it's
>called Typer or such...

Nope; type "pkg ", creator "1NCU".

I've just posted the source for several AppleScripts that can do this.

You can also set up the ".pkg" extension in your Internet Control panel
(on MacOS 8) or Internet Config (freeware for pre OS8) or perhaps even
the PC Exchange Control panel (for files brought over from PC's or file
servers) to do the same thing so that downloaded files will be packages
automatically (assuming the Internet app you're downloading with supports
Internet Config. If not, many of them do their own mapping of filename
extension to Mac type/creator and let you edit it. Handy!

 -Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com