Re: NTLK NEwton and DSL

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 03:26:04 EST

On 1/15/2000 12:44 AM, kevin webb [mailto:webb3201@airmail.net] wrote:

>Hello all,
> I just moved to a DSL connection on my G4 and no longer have dial up
>access. Can I use programs like Inkspot and simplemail through the Apple
>Talk link or are they dial up only applications? Kevin

Eh? Dialup has nothing to do with it.

InkSpot and Simplemail are TCP/IP applications, not Appletalk
applications, or dialup applications.

Both your DSL connection and your dialup connections give you access to
TCP/IP (the dialup thru an additional "layer" of protocols called PPP or
SL/IP).

You didn' say what sort of Newton you had -- if it's a 2x00 or eMate and
you have an Ethernet card and hub (or crossover cable, which is what DSL
providers usually give you) then you're all set.

I have a MessagePad 2x00 with an Ethernet card. I have my DSL Router
(USWest DSL) hooked up to my Ethernet Hub. I hook my MP2K's Ethernet
card to the Ethernet hub and set up Internet Setup on the Newton to use
an Ethernet connection intead of a modem connection. I can then browse
the web using TCP/IP over the Ethernet; you'll have to chanve your
Newton's internet settings in Internet Setup appropriately, the same way
you had to change your G4 when you switched from dialup to DSL.

If you don't have an Ethernet cable Newton, then you are out of luck
unless you can find a PPP server to run on your G4 (or some other
computer) so that you can route TCP/IP over serial, or a MacIP server
which will let you use ( a LocalTalk/PhoneNet-based Appletalk connection
to route TCP/IP over LocalTalk.

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = Newton Community FAQ: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com