Re: NTLK Re: ICQ for Newton

From: Justin (justin@meatware.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 17:16:36 EST

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Sam Powell wrote:

>Just a few points.
>
>Does your (justin) server have a good network connection
>cus everyone will hate having to use ultra-slow ICQ

I can probably run a few proxy servers. One will be on a 786kbps SDSL,
one possibly on a T1. Also, several other people have offered to run them
for everyone. :) (Thanks!.. This community never ceases to amaze me)

>Will ICQ not mind have loads of users all online on the same
>IP? (the proxy address)

I don't think so. I use IP Masq at home and we frequently have 6 or 7
ICQ's on the same address. ICQ has built-in proxy support, so I think
they expect it will happen.

College firewalls probably cause 100's of people to show up from one IP!

>How big a bit of code is the proxy? Proc usage? Im just wondering
>if its viable for me to put it somewhere it sohouldnt really be...

The code is very small, but it requires several libraries to run. I can
probably provide a static binary, though, so you won't need to install the
libs. It only runs under inetd, so putting it someplace it shouldn't be
probably isn't viable. There will be plenty of proxies to choose from
anyway.

Justin

---
Justin Streufert
justin@meatware.com

"When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man." -- A Clockwork Orange

PGP Public Key available at: http://www.meatware.com/~justin/pgp.txt

****************************************** This month's NewtonTalk brought to you by:

The Clinton Administration, the George Bush 2000 Campaign, and almost every other major U.S. politician has said something nasty about us at some time. Find out why at: http://www.evote.com