Re: NTLK Implant 2000 Accel. for Newton? Anygood? Install myself?

From: Doug Fuss (douglas.fuss.pc.86@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2000 - 18:53:23 EST

> I just got through reading the FAQ and went to the site of the upgrade
> providers. Has anybody on the list done this? Is it worth it? How long did
> they keep your unit? I historically keen on processor upgrades, etc., and am
> willing to upgrade. I currently have a 2000 upgraded to a 2100. But I would
> like to here from somebody who is pleased with it and has not had any
> problems, etc. I remember upgrading my first Mac LC with a Daystar Accel. At
> least I could unplug it to isolate any problems. I am concerned about how
> permanent this upgrade is. But on the other hand, i don't want to miss out
> on the opportunity to have it done.
>
> The other question is whether I can do the upgrade myself. I have made
> similar modifications to Ham Radio equipment, and hay, even made my own
> Newton to PC cable, but I am not very good with the iron. Probably because I
> don't have a very good iron. I have 2, both are basic units from Rat Shack,
> one with a black and handle and big tip, the other with a blue handle and a
> bit smaller tip. I have seem a really nice sodering kit and would not be
> opposed to spending the money on it rahter than paying for somebody to
> upgrade my unit if I thought a better iron would make the difference.
> Otherwise, I like working on things like this...just suck at ironing
> (clothes too! :).

I posted the following response to the list last October:

> Has anyone with a MP2100 tried any of Pix Solutions products (URL below)?
> http://www.pixsolution.com/products.html#2000

Yes, I have.

> Is there a noticeable difference in your MP's speed?

Yes, definitely. It comes to about a 30% increase and my UMP2100 really zips
along, now.

Keep in mind the following, though:

- You have to disable the accelerator by holding the on/off switch for 2
seconds (I think) to use anything connected through the serial
(interconnect) port or IR ports. This includes the keyboard, serial
connections to the desktop, appletalk connections to the desktop, external
modems, GPS's, digital cameras, etc.

- The PCMCIA card slots work fine while accelerated. This includes PC card
modems, flash RAM cards, and ethernet cards.

- I do not recommend trying to install this yourself. I tried and failed. It
involves VERY delicate and precise soldering. I tried it myself because I
didn't think I could live without my Newt for a month between shipping to
Germany from the US, installation and shipping back. I also didn't want to
pay the extra cost. BIG MISTAKE! Once I fried my Newt, though, Oliver (He IS
Pixsolutions) fixed my fried Newt and installed the accelerator promptly.
And he didn't charge anything extra beyond shipping and the published
installation charge.

- Oliver does return e-mails, but it takes him a while, usually about a
week. When you send him your Newt, include your phone number and he will
call you with questions. He will also provide you with an invoice which
includes his phone number.

- Oliver doesn't take credit cards and checks won't work internationally so
you have to either wire transfer him the funds or include cash when you send
your Newt.

- If sending from the US, send it via regular airmail, declaring a value
less than $50. If you declare a value greater than that, German customs
holds the shipment up and tries to charge Oliver a tax (something like 20%
of the declared value?).

- Recently, the internal memory on my MP failed. (For those who have never
experienced this, the backlight flashes when holding the on/off switch or
resetting - I forget which - and the amount of heap goes way down.) I don't
know if the accelerator caused this. Oliver says he doesn't think so. He may
be right. My MP was run over by a car about a year ago and was repaired by
Apple, so it seems logical that something else would fail given the trauma
it experienced.

BTW, I figured my only option was to send it to Oliver for repair because
the accelerator was installed. Because of the shipping error described above
(I declared a value of $800), I went for two months now without my
Newt. Oliver repaired and tested it for no cost beyond the shipping.

Hope this helps, Doug

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com