NTLK Re: HTTP to FTP Project Back Underway - We Need Your Help!

From: Marco Mailand (Marco.Mailand@psi.ch)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2000 - 09:53:19 EST

Stacey Tenen schrieb:
> 1] We aim to make every package written for the Newton available
> through a browser interface - meaning someone can click on a link and
> have the package of their choice downloaded directly to their Newton
> using Newtscape or NetHopper.
Very good idea! Please support maybe LunaSuite too. What about the may
be not so rare event of a Newton user out in the field without any
browser installed but close to a desktop PC with internet connection?
Would it be possible to use the plain *.pkg files from there too?

> An example: For me, Richard C. Li's -10061 patches are invaluable but...
Very good idea of annotating programs by users. You could place an
archive at the web page with a set of template web pages and a short
instruction of settings. Doing so we could keep the whole thing sort of
standardized and fast. May be a text only interface with very few grey
scale screen shots.

> Why do we need your help?
I would like to take over a GPS related page and would provide there
sources for maps too (may be w/o true map data, because of copyright
issues, we all wont like to see you in jail, Stacey ;-).

And there is another idea I got a few weeks ago: We could have a sort of
auto installer which loads a batch of programs into our Newtons. Maybe a
schedule of all that ftp-URLs in LunaSuite or NewtsCape. I wanted to
burn a CD to do a sort of auto install, using an AppleScript, but would
appreciate a web based solution a lot more.

Last and least: newtedassoc@newted.bellsouth.net resulted in an error
(undeliverable...)

--

Regards / Viele Gruesse