NTLK Volts 'n Watts 'n stuff

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2000 - 07:20:29 EST

>I have been using the charger which came with my MP120 (as I had 2 of
>them, and only passed the MP120 on with one) on my MP2100 for the
>last 2 years with no ill effects. It will not charge as fast as the
>9V charger but will otherwise work and keep your MP2100 ticking.

I know it sounds pedantic, and I apologize for it. However, I'd hate it
if someone burned his Newton due to a typo. So...

The electical unit for voltage is "V". Amazingly, this is the abbreviation
for "volts".
The electrical unit for wattage (until half a minute ago I didn't know this
word exists, I always thought it was "power") is "W". Amazingly, this is the
abbreviation for "watts".

>From volts and watts you can calculate the current you can expect to get out
of the adaper by the approximate formula current = watts / volts.

The power adapters of the 120/130 were 7,5 volts, 7 watts adapters. This
means
you get 7 watts / 7,5 volts current out of them, i. e. 0.93 amperes.

The newton adapters of the MP2K series were 7,5 volts, 9 watts adapters.
This
means you get 9 watts / 7,5 volts current out of them, i. e. 1.2 amperes.

The fact that they have both the same voltage is why you can use all
adapters
with all Newtons. The fact that the MP2K adapter can deliver more current is
the
reason why it takes longer to charge its rechargeables when you use a
120/130
adapter.

So far, so good, but...

NEVER EVER USE ANY THIRD PARTY ADAPTER THAT DELIVERS MORE THAN 7.5 VOLTS.

With 9 volts you might have a small chance that your MP survives, but I
wouldn't
bet anything on that. With more, you will definitely burn your Newton.

This, by the way, is something you'd also need to take into account if you
want
to power your precious MP from a car cigarette lighter, solar panel etc.

Frank

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com