NTLK Clearing Up Newton Power Adapter Confusion

From: DrNewton (DrNewton@kc.net)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2000 - 18:09:28 EST

In NewtonTalk # 222, Frank Gruendel wrote :

>The power adapters of the 120/130 were 7,5 volts, 7 watts adapters. This
>means you get 7 watts / 7,5 volts current out of them, i. e. 0.93
amperes...

Sorry, but you're wrong.

The old Newton adapter is 3.5 Watts.

( Volts X > Amps = Watts )

In an attempt to clarify "everything you ever needed to know about Newton AC
adapters", I'm reposting a message I sent to the NewsGroups months ago :

Best Regards,
David Watson

A.K.A. "Dr. Newton", "Digital Ocean Dave"
Kansas City, Missouri
USA
http://www.kc.net/~drnewton
drnewton@kc.net
Provider of the MP2000 Upgrade and certain repairs.

**************************************

Here is a collection of info I've posted before :

> PLEASE NOTE :
>
> The MP2x00 uses a 9 WATT adapter, NOT A 9 VOLT ADAPTER, BIG > DIFFERENCE !
>
> It has an output voltage of 7.5 Volts DC and can provide 1.2 Amps ( Volts
X > Amps = Watts )

> Apple only made 2 different adapters for the MessagePad product line.

Box states : "Power Adapter" ( red box ) or "MessagePad Power Adapter"
 silver box )>
> * 7.0 Volts / .5 Amps ( 3.5 Watt ) for the MP100 through MP130
> ( says Model # H1300 on adapter, p/n H0003Z/A on box )

Box states : "Newton 9W Power Adapter">
> * 7.5 Volts / 1.2 Amps ( 9 Watt ) for the MP2x00 and eMate
> ( says Model # H0165 on adapter, p/n H0213LL/A on box )
This adapter is the one with the folding AC prongs ( US style ). Apple made
different "prong adapters" for use in Australia, United Kingdom and Europe.
They slide on and attach with a single screw.

AC > Adapters are ALMOST ALWAYS described by their OUTPUT VOLTAGE, but
STUPIDLY
> Apple tried to distinguish the POWER difference from their earlier model.
> They needed to produce a higher WATTAGE ( power ) adapter so that they
could
> charge the bigger battery packs in the MP2x00 and eMate in an HOUR as >
advertised.

Note :

Many, many MP2x00 units have been damaged by people mistakenly plugging in 9
Volt or higher adapters because they don't understand the difference between
Volts and Watts !

How do I know this ? I've repaired a lot of them. I know exactly what gets
damaged.

As I said, Apple didn't do anybody a favor by referring to the MP2x00
adapter as "9W" or "9 Watt".

Also Note :

> The 7.0 Volt / .5 Amp ( 3.5 Watt ) adapter will work with the MP2x00 units
> but it takes a few hours to charge the rechargeable packs using it.

> Small Dog Electronics :
>
> http://www.smalldog.com
>
> Typically carries a good supply of Newton accessories.
>
> Go to their search engine and type "Newton".
>
> I would recommend that anyone needing an AC adapter get the REAL Newton
adapter ( and a rechargeable
battery ) and not mess with what Radio Shack *might* have that *could* work.

> Because :
>
> * You need a well regulated supply. 7.0 to 7.5 volts DC ( no more, no
less ), center pin POSITIVE
> polarity, and over 1 Amp of current.
>
> * A certain size connector ( not commonly found, "EIAJ type 3", 4.75 mm
> OD, 1.7 mm ID )

* If you try to use anything other than the real Newton adapter, the
connector you have may not make reliable connection to the Newton.

Best Regards,
David Watson

A.K.A. "Dr. Newton", "Digital Ocean Dave"
Kansas City, Missouri
USA
http://www.kc.net/~drnewton
drnewton@kc.net
Provider of the MP2000 Upgrade and certain repairs.

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com