Re: NTLK 802.11 and Newton Wireless Connectivity Tested!

From: David Arnold (arnold@dstc.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 04:13:55 EST

-->"Bill" == Bill Davis <newton@ecity.net> writes:

>> the upshot of this is that (to my knowledge) the AirPort is
>> compatible with WaveLAN IEEE cards (at both 1M, 2M and 11M), but
>> is incompatible with the Proxim cards (and the NewtonOS driver).
>> the different is not something that can be overcome in driver
>> software.

  Bill> Argh! Shot down again. I didn't know that. Thanks for the
  Bill> info....even if it is bad news. Oh well, "Never give up,
  Bill> Never surrender!" ;-)

agreed!

  Bill> Hmmm...I wonder how much a RangeLAN hub is? And card for a
  Bill> Mac powerbook?

it seems neither RangeLAN2 or Symphony (both Proxim products, and
compatible) have Mac drivers. and i'm not sure whether the newton
driver supports RangeLAN2 or RangeLAN802 (incompatible).

  Bill> Do we have the source code for the Proxim driver???

i *think* it's in the PCMCIA DDK as an example ...

  Bill> Maybe that fellow in Japan who was done some Ethernet drivers
  Bill> (or are they hacks to the 3Com driver?) and was working on a
  Bill> WaveLAN driver will actually produce one! I'd pay money for
  Bill> it! $50 at least. (I think he reads NewtonTalk, too! If
  Bill> you're still out there, PLEASE do a WaveLAN driver!)

the linux source has a binary module from Lucent which does some part
of the protocol, so that would have to be reverse-engineered (luckily
legal in Oz). then the linux driver code would have to be ported to
the Newton C++, and munged to fit the newton driver model.

it'd be good if someone who had done ethernet drivers before was
interested. count me in for USD 50 as well ... ?

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com