Re: NTLK Newton and PB G3

From: Gary Moody (gmoody@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 13:33:07 EST

Hi Greg,

Welcome to NewtonTalk! Okay, respectively:

1. I *think* so, using a Newton package called Tibet. My understanding is
that the Epson Photo PC digital cameras use the same chipset (Fujitsu) as
the Agfa 1280 and 1680 digital cameras so it *should* work. Tibet is not
supported any longer, and the authors do not respond to email, but both the
package and a registration hack are available on Newton Intelligence
(http://ni.syr.edu/contents.html). To access the files, you have to
download the HotLine client software, run it, and connect to ni.syr.edu .
It doesn't tend to work well with firewalls, and the interface is strange,
but it does work well and the Newton file repository is HUGE!

The Tibet package (not the hack) is also available at
ftp://129.137.194.82/untitled2/newton/applications/tibet.pkg.

2. If you're using the Palm Desktop, you should probably stick with it since
it is a relabeled Claris Organizer. The syncing details are weird but it
does work (I think one-way only - Newton to Palm Desktop). You have to use
the Claris Organizer file in the Intellilink folder (copy it to a new name),
sync with that empty file, and then open that file for use in Palm Desktop.

The other method of doing this involves (again, I think (PC user)) changing
the creator codes on the Palm Desktop file to Claris Organizer so NCU will
recognize the file to sync with and then back again to Palm Desktop so the
Palm Desktop software will recognize it. This was covered in an email to
the group from Bill Davis in November: