Re: NTLK Re: newtontalk V1 #227

From: Keith Isley (kisley@dwx.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 12:34:36 EST

Sorry, folks, but I have to disagree..just a bit.

I use the Newton HWR for probably 80 percent of my input, although it took
me months to "retrain" my rotten handwriting, and to adjust the Newt's
settings, to where it was 90-plus percent accurate. I still have to pay
attention more than I like. It is, however, more intutive than Graffiti -
when it works.

(In the Newt's defense, however, if my wife can't read my handwriting, how
in the world can I expect the Newt to? *grin*)

However, when I REALLY need speed, like when I'm taking notes at a meeting,
I bring up Graffiti. It responds considerably faster on my 130, and it's
easier to correct mistakes (that right-to-left slash to delete letters is
really handy).

If I had to rely on Graffiti entirely, however, I'd go nuts. That's one of
the reasons I bought a used Newt instead of a Palm...not to mention the
other benefits, like a larger screen, a better interface, easy Internet
capability, the option of attaching a keyboard...need I go on?

Newton forever and always, but Graffiti does have its place.

KAI

> IMHO graffitii was created by Satan as a pox upon the pda scene...
>
> Kate
>

> > b) using something like Grafitti or Jot (on the Newton or whatever
> > platform) that's a sort of simplified stroke recognizer/shorthand. I
> > personally hate them and find them WORSE than the Newton's HWR, but some
> > people swear by it. I use both a Newton 2100 and a Palm IIIx every day
> > and I can't stand Grafitti. Grafitti was originally created by Palm for
> > the Newton for folks who's handwriting couldn't be recognized by the
> > Newton...and then created the Palm PDAs and included it there too. (So
> > every Palm owner OWES the Newton! Bigtime!)

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com