NTLK Hot Newton batteries, part two

From: Keith Isley (kisley@dwx.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2000 - 14:31:48 EST

Okay, quick recap:

Recently I noticed batteries recharging in my Newt 130 were getting
uncomfortably hot. I posted a message and Dr. Newton gave me some great
advice (thanks!). I got a new set of NiCds, thinking that maybe one of the
cells in the Newton battery pack was shorting out.

Now, here's what I'm seeing:

When I recharge batteries in the Newt, whether the old pack or the new
NiCds, they get hot for a long time....almost too hot to touch....and the
indicater on the charging base either stays yellow or turns green after
about two hours at this temperature. (I did it once just to see if it would
EVER turn green...but I don't plan on doing it again. I love my Newt too
much!)

However, when I charge the batteries in the slot in the charging base (you
know, the one for the spare set), the batteries charge just fine. The
indicator light turns green, and they don't get hot.

Questions:

Do I have a problem with the Newt's internal charging circuitry? How worried
should I be about the future lifespan of my Newt? Is there a software reset
(hard or soft) that will fix this?

Obviously, I'll be charging batteries outside the Newt until I get this
resolved. Any help would be appreciated.

KAI

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com