Re: NTLK Power woes gone...

From: Kenny Song (kensong@pc.jaring.my)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 10:40:25 EST

------
Well, after I did a brain wipe/restore on thursday night, my Newt has
stoped turning itself on and draining its batteries. If anyone else is
having these problems, I suggest you do a backup-brain wipe-restore cycle
- it worked for me! :)

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca |
------
IMO, doing a regular backup/restore routine is essential to the health and performance of your Newton. Especially so if you try out lots of programs. You'd be surprise how much space can be recovered and it usually helps iron out some nagging errors.

Kenny Song
------
Speaking of the devil. I just sent this mail and my Newton reset by itself. After that, I could not get my backdrop back. It failed to open and defaulted to Notes. Activating the backdrop caused a -10600 error (not -10061). I thought I'd delete the System Soup for my Backdrop and launching Trashpak or Pref Cleaner threw the same error.

Solution? Restoring only the System Information did not cure it, so I restored Internal store. Works fine now. I never hesitate to do a brain wipe everytime I start having funny errors like this. This is because ALL my data is in my Card and all my essential softwares (extensions) is in internal, and this seldom changes.

Most Newton problems have to do with System Soup so this method saves me lots of headaches. BTW, I have a 4 MB Card just for my Internal backup, always with my Newton (for convenience). I have another Card backup which I do every month kept at home (safety). Card erase / restores take about 5 minutes so it's never a big deal. Phew...:-)

Tip. Everytime I install a new package that integrates with the System, I put it in Internal and after a trouble free use of about 2 days and I like it, I update my Internal backup. I always try to avoid installing more than one such packages at a time.

This way, I always have a clean backup that is current.

Kenny Song
<Sent with Newton Messagepad/SimpleMail v 3.3.1d1>

about us at some time. Find out why at:
http://www.evote.com