NTLK New System Version Available

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot@pnm-consulting.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 18:01:55 EST

Hi Fellow Newtoneers!

John Arkley (aka ExNOSE) once wrote:

>Building and testing a System Update is complex and expensive process
>and no single engineer could do it.

Well, I can now confess it, I did it alone.

Walter Smith wrote:

>Writing a system update without the ROM source would be like rewiring
>your computer in the dark without opening the case. :-)

Don't ask me, I don't have the source.

However, I successfully wrote a new update. This update fixes the bug known
as Date/Find and therefore replaces Avi's fix. It does not exactly uses
Avi's fixing, but just patches the Calendar application directly.

The bug appears when printing/faxing or just previewing from print/fax
dates in a Find result. Cf Avi's Pages for more information:
http://www.drissman.com/avi/newton/DatesFindBugfix/

For copyright reasons, I won't distribute the system patch itself, but an
update to system patch 717260. It can be found at:
ftp://ftp.pnm-consulting.com/newton/system_updates/710031_patch.sit.hqx
It only works on MacOS now.

The number of the update follows Apple's numbering system (cf the FAQ for
information). It does not work and will refuse to work on any other machine
than a US MP2k, for it is the only one I have [anyway, the bug only exists
on NOS 2.1] (you can still offer me a machine if you want the update on it
;-)

It installs over the following updates:
717006
717041
717132
717145
717246
717260

IMPORTANT: Before you install this system update, you should back up your
MessagePad. I won't be responsible for any loss of data. This system update
is under P&M Consulting Newton Program License.

I would like to thanks all people helping me in this project, either by
providing very useful information (John Arkley & Walter Smith) or sending
me softwares such as the Patch Eraser, and Avi Drissman for having sent me
the source of his fix for this bug.

Best regards,

Paul

PS: Because I was spending all my efforts in this project, the FAQ will not
be updated within a week.

----
P&M Consulting Newton Program
http://www.pnm-consulting.com/newton/