Re: NTLK Smackdown! (eMate vs. 2x00)

From: Michael J. Hussmann (michael.hu@macmagazin.de)
Date: Mon May 08 2000 - 05:54:35 CDT

Michael Manthey (Michael_Manthey@MagicVillage.de) wrote:

> The MP's screen has 16 grayscales as compared to 4 in the eMate.

Michael,

just like the MP2x00, the eMate supports bit-depths up to 4, i.e. 16
levels of gray.

> The keyboard to my taste is not as good as the external Newton-keyboard

This is a matter of taste, of course, but I believe few people would
agree with you on this. I for one prefer the eMate's keyboard (I have
both an eMate and an MP2100 with an external keyboard) -- it's easier to
type on, and it's much less noisy.

> the eMate's battery is soldered in

No, it isn't. You need a Torx-8 screwdriver to open the battery
compartment, though.

> so if you' re on the road you need the external battery booster pack,
> if it runs dry. There is no way of just replacing the internal battery by
> a pack of alcalines from the next drugstore.

I never ran into this type of problem while being on the road with my
eMate. After a couple of days, you re-charge the battery, and that's all.

While I love my MP2100, I am spending more time with the eMate, mostly
because of its keyboard. These days, most of the stuff I write for
macmagazin is written on the eMate, whereas I use the MP2100 mainly as an
organizer. For me, the eMate offers nearly everything I would need a
Powerbook for (including internet access), which is why I don't need one.

Michael J. Hussmann

Redaktion macmagazin
MACup Verlag GmbH
Leverkusenstrasse 54 VII