Re: NTLK Newt -> C.O.?

From: markr13 (markr13@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 16:41:29 CDT

>Hi. I'm new to the list, and I think I saw someone mention that they were
>able to synchronize their Newton to the organizer that's freely available
>from Palm.
>
>Is it true I can connect my Newton to that organizer? If so, can someone
>instruct me how to do it? Thanks!
>
>-Chris

Chris - Claris Organizer (now renamed Palm Organizer) is free for
downloading on the Palm site. This is probably the best syncing
organizer for the Newton. Others have experience with this and can chime
in as well. Some caveats follow:

Newton & Claris Organizer

Here is a repost of a message about syncing with Palm Desktop and NCU

I'm happy to report success using NCU to sync my UMP2K to Palm Desktop
2.5
(on a Mac).

This is a wonderful thing; it's not a perfect sync, but does handle
events, repeating events, names & to dos in addition to contact
information. The way the information is represented is slightly different,
but the important thing is the vast majority of your most basic data *is*
portable.

A couple of caveats/hints:

First things first; do a full backup before you start. (You'll sleep
better tonight...)

After several furtive attempts, advice on the NTLK list from Lorin Rivers
<lrivers@ibm.net> proved to be key:

> In the IntelliLink folder inside NCU is a file called Claris Organizer
> 2.0. Copy that file and rename it to something that pleases you. I
> called mine Lorin's Newton. Synch to that file and all should be well.
> You can then open it in Palm desktop...

No need to change creator codes. It just works.

Events & repeating events are transferred as 'daily banners'. One
wierdness is that annual events transfer as two events: a daily event and
a repeating event.

Event notes do *not* transfer.

Meeting notes do *not* transfer.

Phone numbers in Names without a specific label (Home, Fax, etc.) do
*not*
transfer.

Notes in Names transfer just fine.

Be sure to give your applications enough RAM to work with. At least as
much as the total amount of RAM (internal + all installed cards) on your
Newton.

I haven't tried to sync Notes. I don't doubt that it would work, but
suspect that your folders wouldn't transfer, as the catagories in PD are
more structured.

IMHO, Palm Desktop does a nearly complete job of syncing your data, and
best of all, it's free.

Mark Ross
markr13@voicenet.com

Need a Screen Protector to keep your Newton in tip top shape?
Go to <http://www.NuShield.net> for NuShield screen protectors.
Don't leave your Newt Naked!