Re: NTLK LiIon batteries

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 14:34:41 CDT

On 5/23/2000 5:39 AM, Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT
[mailto:Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com] wrote:

>Yes. The charging curve is quite different, and LiIon
>batts have a tendency to react quite angry to wrong
>charging. They might even decide to leave this unfriendly
>world by exploding. Ask Apple, they have ample experience
>in this field from one of their powerbook series...

Although I'm sure you're right about the battery technical issues,
actually, the battery problems with the 5300 are more an urban legend
than reality. While Apple did have a recall, few if ANY customers
experienced an actual problem or fire with the batteries. It was more a
preemptive recall since the possibility existed.

  -Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/