Re: NTLK Message pad and WAP

From: Steve Weyer (sweyer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 03:47:22 CDT

>Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:14:47 -0600
>From: "Dag Bennstrom" <dag.bennstrom@xor.com>
>
>Does anyone have any information on a WAP/Microbrowser for the MP2K. I am
>already using Newtscape, I know it is not the same thing. I would like to
>WAP-ify my MP2K. But I have found virtually no documentation on how to do
>this, anywhere on the net.

Well-designed sites should automatically detect and redirect
non-WAP devices to an HTML version. So, handling WAP/WML shouldn't
really be necessary for a full function device.

I have experimented with (but not released) a WML plugin for Newt's
Cape. it mapped CARD to H1 (and a separate book page), and started to
handle basic formatted text, navigation buttons, timers, links. It
seemed to work ok for a few simple sites I've tried, but I'm afraid it
would take a lot of work to support any site that used all of the
intricacies of WML (not to mention WScript). In general, I couldn't
find many interesting WAP-based sites (mostly "hello world" kinda
stuff).

Another (more promising IMHO) standard in the works is "Basic XHTML"
which is an XML-based subset of HTML.

Steve
weyer@kagi.com
NewtDevEnv, Newt's Cape, Sloup, Crypto,...
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~sweyer/newton/index.htm
http://www.kagi.com/weyer