Re: NTLK Macworld July 2000 issue

From: Khaled (khaledt@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 13:11:35 CDT

My brother got a Psion, so I have seen it up close and played with it. It is
an excellent computer, but not a Newton. The Newton is not just about
running productivity software, it is the overall experience and the way by
which all features integrate.

Me personally would never consider a device with a key board. Key board
means needing a desk top. The Psion is not small and it is quite
inconvenient to use it while standing or in any position other than on a
desktop, and the lights must be on to see the key board. In contrast I can
use the Newton any ware, any time, in any condition or position, now that is
a PDA. If I will use a key board I might as well go for a sub note book
computer.

Also, note there is hardly any advantage for a Psion over a Newton, except
for the support for Compact Flash cards (are you listening Paul of P&M
Consulting) and the support for Java script. and there are not much
outstanding applictaions.

A couple of months ago I got my wife a Casio 105. It is a very cool toy, the
gaming experience on it is outstanding, MP3s are crystal clear, and web
browsing was meant to be in colors. But that is about it, it just can not
replace a Newton when it comes to productive work, trust me I have tried and
tested the unit to the limit, it just can not take it. And many of the
limitations are still unresolved for the pocket PC.

All PDAs are meant to be satellites to a main computer, only the Newton is a
true stand alone hand held. Unfortunately that proved to be too much power
for the masses. Only 100,000 found a use for that power. The reason the
Newton lives strong till to day is that it was bought by power users who can
not find a replacement. Based on that fact I consider the Newton a
profitable market for any developer who can extend the productivity aspect
of the Newton (NewtsCape, Simple mail -though free-, Back Talk, etc.). I am
certain that a developer who can bring ATA falsh cards to the Newton can
make sales at least equivalent to 80% of the 2000 and 2100 MPs out there.

Wow, I really did not plan it to be that long, but one thought led to the
other, excuse me.

--

Dr. Khaled Tewfik Saudi Arabia _______________________________ >From a Rocking Apple G3 Desktop