Re: comp.sys.newton.misc vs. Newtontalk (was: Re: NTLK NTLK:newted messageboards)

From: Wolf Lichtenberger (w_l@gmx.net)
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 08:39:09 CDT

Hi fellow Newtoneers,

on Tue, 01 Aug 2000, Bill Davis wrote:
> On 7/31/00 11:42 AM, Loren Finkelstein [mailto:Loren@Finkelstein.Net]
> wrote:
> >I am both curious about why others don't feel that way, and interested in
> >letting newbies know that there is another option.
> >Loren
>
> Several:
> Usenet is full of spam, trolls, and other junk
> Usenet is full of flame wars

Not full, but at least numerous enough to be a major nuisance to serious
participants.

> My ISP's Usenet news server can't even keep a full days worth of data
> anymore; I'm always missing things on the comp.sys.newton.* newsgroups,
> and I check at least once a day.

seems he doesn't invest enough in hardware any more 8^).

> This mailing list's membership seems to be growing, and is far more
> active, whereas comp.sys.newton.misc seems to be shrinking and very
> inactive anyway. Or maybe it's just my ISP's news server ;-)

Dunno, haven't the time to read news, too.

> I'd say we should shut down comp.sys.newton.* and move everyone to
> NewtonTalk, personally.

Not feasible. There's some very good reasons for clinging to whatever
discussion forum one has chosen, not the least of which are the user interfaces
of the client programs. These, in turn, can only use what the forums technique
already provides. Which brings me to a pet peeve (relax, it's over soon ;-):

<soapbox mode>
Every Mail client is required to generate a unique "Message-ID:" header.
If you reply, forward or in any other way refer to a message, there's some
programs that generate a "Reference-ID:" from the M-ID of the original message,
thus referring to it machine-readable, so to say.

Sadly, very many Mail client programs don't do this, and so we users of mailing
lists (where much referring occurs!) are back to "sorting by subject", which
just doesn't cut it.

News reader clients, OTOH, are _required_ to generate such a reference header,
and the so called threading is supported by most clients since a long time.

IMHO we would all gain by much facilitated reading if this forum had just this
one little technical feature more.

Ain't there moderated newsgroups?
</soapbox mode>

Now, that didn't hurt so bad, did it? (^8

Regards,
-- Wolf