Re: NTLK Using a Stowaway Keyboard with a Newton

From: gopi@sloth.org
Date: Tue Aug 01 2000 - 10:00:00 CDT

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Michael J. Hussmann wrote:

> Grant [Stuck On The Grid]Hutchinson (grant@splorp.com) wrote:
>
> > Very cool! What do we need from the standpoint of the Stowaway in order
> > to establish its protocol?
>
> This may be too simplistic an approach, but once you've made an adaptor
> to connect the Stowaway to a Mac's or PC's serial port, you could start
> some terminal program, fiddle a bit with the settings (parity, start and
> stop bits, speed ...) until you get some response, and then try to make
> sense of whatever output you get from the keyboard.

This, in my opinion, is the best way to begin. Minimal special equipment
required beyond a cable,a nd very easy to do. It's preciselyw hat I did
with the Newton keyboard when I was writing NewtKey. If anybody can
produce a list of the keycodes for the keyboard, I can produce a keyboard
driver that works.

gopi.