Re: NTLK Oh for heavens sake (Was : Very, very long (was: Software piracy))

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 09:18:12 CDT

Bradley Smith wrote:

> <rant>

I'll bear that in mind ;-)

> Fascinating as all this is nobody, including Apple, is really going to
give
> too hoots if you have a Newton Messagepad, or an eMate, and use a piece of
> their software that originally came with the hardware that you have.

You're probably correct. I don't give a crap if everybody downloads NCU off
of Newton Cage, and I doubt Apple does (the address for the Newton Cage has
been posted on Apple's Newton message boards on numerous occasions, they
never reacted). They know that to use the software, you must have a Newton,
and thus, they already have your money. The license agreement that comes
with NCU is a standard Apple license agreement, that comes with all of their
software.

BUT!

Like Frank, I myself am dependent on intellectual property (copyright) law
for my income, and to a lesser extent, for my additional income as an
amateur musician. And I am sick and tired of people trying to justify piracy
with feeble excuses like "it's overpriced", "doesn't hurt because I wouldn't
have bought it anyway", "it's stealing fom evil companies, not the actual
programmer" etc. Go ahead, download all the software you want. Just admit
that you're a thief and be done with it. I couldn't care less. But don't try
to weasel your way out of it with excuses. The only reason so many people
indulge in piracy is that the chance of getting caught is ridiculously slim.
Apparently their consciences are coaxing them to make up elaborate
justifications for their behavious, and that is where I start to get ticked
off.

> Have we
> really got nothing better to talk about? I asked how to open up an MP2k
> earlier - a far more interesting topin (at least for me ;-) ) and nothing!

I have instructions on how to crack open an MP2x00 somewhere on my harddrive
at home, I'll email 'em to you.

I'm quite sure I posted them on Smaller.com's message boards a while ago,
but I can't seem to find them?

,xtG
..tsooJ

--