Re: NTLK HWR and inet / chat pkgs: which are best + NewtJabber?

From: Khaled Tewfik (khaledt@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 13:05:56 CDT

on 8/4/2000 3:54 PM, Jeff Knee at jdknee@ufl.edu wrote:

> NewtJabber (BTW, is anyone using this one successfully? I've
> read here on problems getting it to work. What's your
> setup, if success found, please?)

I here many complaining that they could not get NewtonJabber to work for
them. I use Jabber regularly and it is a great piece of software. The best
part is that it levels the playing field when comparing the Newton abilities
to othe PDAs; no one can tell me "you can not do Yahoo chat on a Newton"

Note, the Jabber server itself is still under development, so down times can
be a factor. Further, there were periods when certain serviced did not
register with Jabber, namely AOL, but the problem was resolved in after a
lengthy 3 weeks. So please take that into account,

To set up the service you need a PC, or use VPC on the Mac, which is what I
did. Set up Jabber on your windows machine (the mac version is even more
beta) and make sure that all is working fine, test chating with a friend and
make sure all is set up on the windows client.

Then move on to the Newton, start an internet connection and then make sure
to run Set Jab first. Newton Jabber documentation states that running the
NewtonJabber for the first time will automatically run SetJabber, this did
not work im my case and Newton Jabber would simply quit; I had to start
setjabber manually and do the settings exactly as I had it on the windows
client. I closed setjabber and launched newtonjabber and all worked as
advertised.

A bug to note is that normally the last friend you chated with will appeat
marked online the next time you log on with jabber, this is not necessary
tue.

The last time I used the jabber was 2 days ago. I sent offline message to a
friend on ICQ, things worked fine.

Hope this helps, you can also contact Eric, the author, he is very
supportive and I know he would love to know that his efforts are being
appreciated and used by the Newton communtiy. He can be reached at

eschneck@mindspring.com

Regards

Khaled Tewfik
Saudi Arabia