Re: NTLK Avantgo Why

From: Khaled Tewfik (khaledt@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 13:05:59 CDT

on 8/4/2000 12:08 PM, Bradley Smith at BradleyS@artisansw.com wrote:

> What AvantGo does is provide a set of guidelines for web developers that
> says (basically) if you want your web pages to be usable on the largest PDA
> platform on the planet (Palm) and the platform that has delusions of
> grandeur (CE, Pocket PC, whatever you wanna call it) then follow this set of
> rules and they'll all look okay. In addition they provide a way of stripping
> down existing websites to their basics (with limited success it has to be
> said).
>
> I have tried surfing the web on my Newt and it's painful to say the least
> (I've used a 33.6 modem and also a very fast direct internet link at work
> using an ethernet card in the Newton).

Sorry, but I still do not get it :)

The simple answer to all this is that if you know the URL of an Avantgo
compliant page then just set NetHopper in that direction, there is nothing
else to it.

Mu own way of doing web on my Newton is to have Newtscape and Nethopper on
my Newtom. For quick to the source no frill browsing I use Nethopper, it is
very fast, it strips the site to its basics and I have the pictures off. If
I have to have the real thing or wanted to have more than what Nethopper is
offering I fire up Newtscape. And as I said earlier, I do utilise the
schedule feature for patch download to avoid slow downs.

I must admit that the browsig abilities of the WinCE devises had exceeded
that of the Newton. Again (except for speed) ther si not much need for
Avantgo there. The only problem ther is that the screen size is very limitig
and it is pain to chase the page from corner to corner. But I was able to
down load Apple.com in all its glory to a Cassiopea, Newtscape can only get
Apple.com in fragments.

Avantgo may have a purpose in life, but I believe it caters more to Palms
that are really limited when it comes to web surfing and to older WinCE palm
devices that could not at all do live websurfing without 3rd party software.

Khaled Tewfik
Saudi Arabia