RE: NTLK [Update] Using a Stowaway Keyboard with a Newton

From: Jeff Knee, at home (jdknee@ufl.edu)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2000 - 08:16:58 CDT

Way to go, Grant! We're cheering for ya!
Jeff

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:46:44 -0600
From: Grant [Snicker Snack] Hutchinson <grant@splorp.com>
To: "Newton-Talk" <newtontalk@planetnewton.com>
Subject: [Update] Using a Stowaway Keyboard with a Newton

Hi all.

I just thought I would give everyone interested an update on where I am
with getting a Stowaway keyboard working with my Newton. My Visor
compatible Stowaway arrived this week, and I have been compiling the
serial pinout information for both the 2100's interconnect port and the
keyboard's Visor cradle connector. This weekend, I am going to try to
whack together a connection from the keyboard to my Mac using an old
serial cable and some alligator clips. If the cable works, I can start
capturing the raw serial data associated with key presses from the
keyboard. With any luck, I'll have a fully documented set of keycodes by

Monday. With the keycodes available, I hope to take up Gopi's offer to
build a Newton driver for the Stowaway.

I'll let you know what happens.

Grant