Re: NTLK licenses & piracy

From: J. van de Griek (Joost_van_de_Griek@nl.yachtgroup.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 03:41:41 CDT

On 06-08-2000 00:32, Allen Dundek wrote:

>> And I am sick and tired of people trying to justify piracy with feeble
>> excuses like "it's overpriced", "doesn't hurt because I wouldn't have bought
>> it anyway", "it's stealing fom evil companies, not the actual programmer"
>> etc. Go ahead, download all the software you want. Just admit that you're a
>> thief and be done with it. I couldn't care less. But don't try to weasel your
>> way out of it with excuses. The only reason so many people indulge in piracy
>> is that the chance of getting caught is ridiculously slim.
>>
> I agree with you 100%. However, I can think of one reason that downloading a
> copy for _true_ evaluation purposes is useful: I dl'ed NCU to try it out
> synching my 130 and guess what - error messages that I could not work around.
> So I've dumped. it. If I had purchased a copy from Apple, I would have been
> SOL.

There's a freely available version of NCU on Apple's download site; it's the
non-upgradeable 1.0b5. Use it as a trial version, then if you like it,
purchase 1.0.

One thing, though... If Apple still sell NCU, aren't they thereby obliged to
provide (at least some) support to the people that bought it? I would sure
think (hope) so...

> So I do like companies/authors that provide free downloadable trial software.
> It's only fair to both the consumer and author.

Sure, it's a nice gesture. And as you say, it creates a lot of goodwill. But
there's no obligation to do so.

,xtG
..tsooJ

--