NTLK Flames are Good!

From: Oz Suguitan (ozs@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 15:06:22 CDT

Your eMail from khaledt@earthlink.net on 8/6/00 12:42 AM said this:

>People, come on, hold off your flames and give the guy a break, you are
>jumping on every word he is saying. He miscommunicated him self and he
>admited it. But is not it obvious that English is hot his first language.
>English is not my first language and I hate it when people pick on my
>gramatical or linguistic errors.

Hold off the flames? Never! ;-D (I understand what you are saying BTW.
The below is a comment about flaming in general.)

The blowtorch on Peter from me is now shut off completely because the
thread is getting tired. But, I'd like to make a comment about flaming.

Flaming should never be discouraged at NewtonTalk, or in any public
forum. The stuff you are reading are people's opinions, and people
contributing should have a right to make comments about anyone else's
opinions and statements no matter how they are posted (as long as they
are not profane or obscene).

Flaming usually comes from a passion about something; a something that a
person cares so much about that they sometimes may not think about what
they are posting. People flaming each other on NewtonTalk show that there
is still passion about the Newton platform, and I welcome these feelings
so late in the game.

Come on, when people are willing to argue about the smallest details
about the Newton, it's the ultimate testament of the greatness of the
Newton platform and the commitment of it's faithful community. The Newton
Community is made up of people who care very much about the Newton, and
that's what has allowed us to survive in these days after Apple dropped
support; and, it is this passion that will continue to carry us through
the years ahead.

Look at the efforts of our community... we have sites with news and
support that are updated frequently. We have products in development for
protection of our screens and replacement of our parts. We have feats of
engineering to extend what has been considered to outsiders as a dead OS
platform. People are still willing to give much time and effort to this!
No wonder Palm people call us zealots... we are!

So be tolerant of the flames. People don't generally want to hurt other
people's feelings, it's passions colliding that create the flames of
friction. More importantly, be grateful for the flames. It is an
indicator that the Newton Community still HAS FLAME burning, and that it
still has supporters willing to argue about every nitpick detail about
whatever topic Newton.

Be afraid of the day when no one cares to post about even the most
wayward mispost of information.

-Oz