Re: NTLK Purchasing Rights to the Newton...?

From: Ben Doughney (ben_d@clear.net.nz)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 23:36:35 CDT

on 7/8/2000 12:33 PM, Brian Pearce at bpearce@cloud9.net wrote:

> Given the amazing success of the Palm platform, I'm not entirely convinced
> that the MessagePad, as useful as it had become by the MP2100, would have been
> more than a marginal success. The PDA category has been moving towards smaller
> pocket products, and I suspect only a pocket-sized device would have been able
> to provide real competition of any sort. That would require new product
> development, which was a diversion of resources Apple management wanted to
> avoid at the time.
>
> Make no mistake: I'm still using my MessagePad, and I expect I'll continue to
> do so for some time before anything that *begins* to resemble a replacement is
> available. We can disagree with the abandonment of the Newton platform, but
> let's not continue to insist that this wasn't a reasonable and sound business
> decision for Apple to make.
It's weird that some company has not come up with some sort of a lens system
that can get layered on top of an LCD screen and make it appear bigger. I
think that the pocket size is something that a Palmtop needs, and the Palm
has that, but the screens are quite hard to see. I don't see why some sort
of lens thing that goes on top of a screen has not been thought off.

         Ben Doughney
        AdMac Services
 × Macintosh × Apple II × IBM ×
  http://welcome.to/admac.com