Re: NTLK New newton user questions

From: NewtonMP (newtonmp@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 2000 - 16:38:03 CDT

Thanks everybody for the advice and info. I've already done pretty much
everything that people suggested with regard to the settings in the HWR
preferences, but I was wondering if I was missing anything. I notice that
the "learn my handwriting" option is only available when you are using the
cursive recognizer. Does this mean that it doesn't adjust itself to your
hand writing when you use the printed recognizer? What do most people use,
printed or cursive? I find I get the best results printing using the cursive
recognizer, since even when printing I tend to connect some letters.

I'm still curious as to whether there is a maximum number of words you can
add to the dictionary. I seem to recall when I was using the MP100 years ago
that I used all of the space in the dictionary relatively early on, and it
sort of frustrated me. Of course the newer models have much bigger
dictionaries, so presumably I wouldn't need to add nearly as much.

Thanks also for the info on Corrector+, Carlos. It's really very useful. It
doesn't actually change the way the HWR works, but will automatically
replace words you specify (the words the recognizer always seems to get
wrong). Really a great tool. It's pretty much solved my apostrophe problem,
as well as some other tricky words. I've set it to replace "dont" with
"don't" and "do'nt" with "don't" and so forth.

One last question for now, about the notepad: I've had a problem whereby the
text of two sentences ends up overlapping. I can't even select one sentence
by itself to move it out of the way. Is this a common problem? Any way to
get around it?